My blessings have hatched over the last five years. I never counted them before they hatched because I didn’t know what they were going to be. I had taken a step of faith, rather a leap of faith, into a big unknown for me and it has become the source of some of the greatest blessings of my life. I’ve been a work at home dad, raising my two girls and never having to send them to pre-school. I never had to miss their first day of school or an event at school and, in fact, I get to walk them to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon every day. I’ve developed some of the best friendships of my life and have a greater sense of accomplishment than I have ever had in my life.
How did I do all of that? On January 8th, 2007, I clicked on a link and signed up to be a Team Beachbody Coach. I paid $39.95 and that was my total capital outlay to start my Beachbody business. Yes, I bought P90X and I think that the second thing that I bought was the Results and Recovery Formula and since then have gotten almost every Beachbody workout DVD and have been drinking Shakeology every day for over 3 years. But my initial investment was $39.95 and it was the best $39.95 that I have ever invested. The DVD’s I have worked out to and gotten great results, the Results and Recovery Formula, I used to the bottom of the tub because it is so good and Shakeology is incomparable and I get it on home direct so that I never run out.
The bottom line, though, is that my capital investment was $39.95 and it has gotten me to where I am now as a father, a coach, a business person and the closest that I have ever been to financial independence. I just read an article by Jim Rohn, who has become one of my greatest mentors, and in it, he talks about the “Nine Things More Important Than Capital”. Those things actually explain my success better than I can. Along with my deep and abiding faith, these nine qualities have allowed me to achieve things that I never thought possible in terms of lifestyle and income. If you are driven to succeed and have $39.95 in capital that you can invest in starting a business, these 9 qualities will also give you the chance to achieve what I have achieved and more. Isn’t it time that you take the leap of faith that I did five and a half years ago. That leap could bring you the greatest blessings that you have ever received.
To read Jim Rohn’s article, simply keep reading…
Nine Things More Important Than Capital – by Jim Rohn
When starting any enterprise or business, whether it is full-time or part-time, we all know the value of having plenty of capital (money). But I bet we both know or at least have heard of people who started with no capital who went on to make fortunes. How? You may ask.
Well, I believe there are actually some things that are more valuable than capital that can lead to your entrepreneurial success. Let me give you the list.
1. TimeTime is more valuable than capital. The time you set aside not to be wasted, not to be given away. Time you set aside to be invested in an enterprise that brings value to the marketplace with the hope of making a profit. Now we have capital time.
How valuable is time? Time properly invested is worth a fortune. Time wasted can be devastation. Time invested can perform miracles, so you invest your time.
2. DesperationI have a friend, Lydia, whose first major investment in her new enterprise was desperation. She said, “My kids are hungry, I’ve gotta make this work. If this doesn’t work, what will I do?” So she invested $1 in her enterprise selling a product she believed in. The $1 was to buy a few flyers so she could make a sale at retail, collect the money and then buy the product wholesale to deliver back to the customer.
My friend Bill Bailey went to Chicago as a teenager after he got out of high school. And the first job he got was as a night janitor. Someone said, “Bill, why would you settle for night janitor?” He said, “Malnutrition.” You work at whatever you can possibly get when you get hungry. You go to work somewhere night janitor, it doesn’t matter where it is. Years later now, Bill is a recipient of the Horatio Alger award, rich and powerful and one of the great examples of lifestyle that I know. But, his first job night janitor. Desperation can be a powerful incentive. When you say, â€œI must.â€3. DeterminationDetermination says I will. First Lydia said, “I must find a customer.” Desperation. Second, she said, “I will find someone before this first day is over.” Sure enough, she found someone. She said, “If it works once, it will work again.” But then the next person said, “No.” Now what must you invest?
3. DeterminationDetermination says I will. First Lydia said, “I must find a customer.” Desperation. Second, she said, “I will find someone before this first day is over.” Sure enough, she found someone. She said, “If it works once, it will work again.” But then the next person said, “No.” Now what must you invest?
4. CourageCourage is more valuable than capital. If you’ve only got $1 and a lot of courage, I’m telling you, you’ve got a good future ahead of you. Courage in spite of the circumstances. Humans can do the most incredible things no matter what happens. Haven’t we heard the stories? There are some recent ones from Kosovo that are some of the most classic, unbelievable stories of being in the depths of hell and finally making it out. It’s humans. You can’t sell humans short. Courage in spite of, not because of, but in spite of. Now once Lydia has made 3 or 4 sales and gotten going, here’s what now takes over.
5. Ambition”Wow! If I can sell 3, I can sell 33. If I can sell 33, I can sell 103.” Wow. Lydia is now dazzled by her own dreams of the future.
6. FaithNow she begins to believe she’s got a good product. This is probably a good company. And she then starts to believe in herself. Lydia, single mother, 2 kids, no job. “My gosh, I’m going to pull it off!” Her self-esteem starts to soar. These are investments that are unmatched. Money can’t touch it. What if you had a million dollars and no faith? You’d be poor. You wouldn’t be rich. Now here is the next one, the reason why she’s a millionaire today.
7. IngenuityPutting your brains to work. Probably up until now, you’ve put about 1/10 of your brainpower to work. What if you employed the other 9/10? You can’t believe what can happen. Humans can come up with the most intriguing things to do. Ingenuity. What’s ingenuity worth? A fortune. It is more valuable than money. All you need is a $1 and plenty of ingenuity. Figuring out a way to make it work, make it work, make it work.
8. Heart and SoulWhat is a substitute for heart and soul? It’s not money. Money can’t buy heart and soul. Heart and soul is more valuable than a million dollars. A million dollars without heart and soul, you have no life. You are ineffective. But, heart and soul is like the unseen magic that moves people, moves people to buy, moves people to make decisions, moves people to act, moves people to respond.
9. PersonalityYou’ve just got to spruce up and sharpen up your own personality. You’ve got plenty of personality. Just get it developed to where it is effective every day, effective no matter who you talk to, whether it is a child or whether it is a business person, whether it is a rich person or a poor person. A unique personality that is at home anywhere. One of my mentors, Bill Bailey, taught me, “You’ve got to learn to be just as comfortable, Mr. Rohn, whether it is in a little shack in Kentucky having a beer and watching the fights with Winfred, my old friend or in a Georgian mansion in Washington, DC as the Senator’s guest.” Move with ease whether it is with the rich or whether it is with the poor. And it makes no difference to you who is rich or who is poor. A chance to have a unique relationship with whomever. The kind of personality that ‘s comfortable. The kind of personality that’s not bent out of shape.
And lastly, let’s not forget charisma and sophistication. Charisma with a touch of humility. This entire list is more valuable than money. With one dollar and the list I just gave you, the world is yours. It belongs to you, whatever piece of it you desire whatever development you wish for your life. I’ve given you the secret. Capital. The kind of capital that is more valuable than money and that can secure your future and fortune. Remember that you lack not the resources.